Below are a number of Discussion Questions for The Reunion. Feel free to Copy and Print them for your Book Club:
(Spoiler Alert – These Questions assume you’ve already read the book)
- What would you say are the major themes in this novel?
- Are you a Vietnam Vet, know anyone who was? How did you/they handle life after the war? Were they able to put it totally behind them or did it continue to affect their lives in the years that followed? In what ways?
- Why do you think many Vietnam Vets were treated so badly when they came home from the war? What do you think about this? How are vets treated differently today?
- Karen’s Mom made the decision to divorce her father and start a new life, after trying to make it work when he’d come home from Vietnam. Did you think she made the right decision? What would you have done?
- Then, years later, after Aaron had gotten off the streets and somewhat straightened out, Karen’s Mom wouldn’t let him back into his children’s lives, saying they had brand new lives now and he would ruin things. Do you think she did the right thing here? If not, what should she have done differently?
- Have you ever met anyone like Aaron? Someone you judged to be a certain way, then totally changed your mind after hearing their story? Did this book cause you to look at certain people a little differently? In what ways?
- What do you think explains Aaron’s heroism, both during the war and in his later years?
- Did you have a favorite scene in the book? How did you respond to it and what made it your favorite?
- Who was your favorite character in the book and why?
- Think for a moment how the novel ends. Would you think Dave and Karen could make this new romance work? How do you envision the story going a few months down the road?
The author, Dan Walsh, welcomes any questions or feedback. You can contact him at email@example.com.